This post was supposed to be up last week; then I forgot, or I was sure I had posted already 😀 So I loathe gel; flat out despise it. Something about the hardness it gives to hair and the residue just puts me off. I know there are good ones out there, I’m just yet to find it.
I came across flax seeds and learnt that you can make gel from them and that’s exactly what I did.
- no residue
- no hard feeling once it dries
I don’t know of any yet.
You can get flax seeds from health shops like Healthy U and Health Shoppe; though I could only find big batches. Then I found these lovely people called Captivating Naturals on facebook selling this small tin at Kshs.280.
It comes with instructions. Basically the seeds are boiled in water to release the gel (takes about 10-15 minutes). Its then sieved to separate the seeds from the gel. Then stored in the fridge. You can add essential oils for a lovely scent because its odorless on its own. Theirs comes with a scented oil mixture. The entire process should take you under half an hour.
The seeds can be reused; I don’t know how many times though.
Its safe to make a small amount at a time, especially if you won’t use it often.
I made so many mistakes:
- I decide to sieve using a strainer at first; but the gel was too thick to go through. So that was a waste of time, time that made the gel cool and become tackier so…
- I had to boil the gel a bit more in more water to loosen it.
- I used a weak pair of plastic tongs to squeeze out the gel, therego they broke; oh my days!
- Smart me decided to squeeze using my hands, big mistake. Almost got first degree burns.
Here’s how I made mine
So before you decide to make yours, make sure you have everything ready so that you waste no time.
See you on the next one ❤